Pages

When Grand Ma's Homeschool

I am blessed to be able to make everyday a holiday filled with memories . . .
T:
In the spring I got the opportunity to teach my grandson about planting.    We planted a few veggies and watched them grow. 
We'll be planting a fall garden soon.  And charting the growth of our veggies.  

I enjoy getting a chance to share in his schooling . . . 
T:
Last week it was my plan to teach him how to make Deviled Eggs
from a recipe.  
He learned how to read a cookbook . . . 
T:
He learned how some cookbooks have an index and learned how to use it to find the type of recipe he was searching for.
T:
Sorry this one is a bit blurry.  I staged this shot because I wanted to use it for a Christmas present for his mom.  She loves this 
vintage Betty Crocker cookbook. 
T:
A simple recipe like Deviled Eggs is easy to cut in half and gave me a perfect opportunity to review fractions.  And an opportunity to make math practical.
T:
My salt shaker is vintage too. HeHe.  Not real practical for the budding chef. 
T:
He was very careful with the knife.  And is becoming skillful. 
T:
We used a method of mixing the ingredients in a ziplock bag.  I knew he would love mashing the egg and other ingredients.  He became pretty adapt at squeezing into the egg shell. 
T:
He was very proud of his creation.  But I couldn't convince him to taste!   
                                                  
He learned/reviewed and accomplished these skills:
Fractions
Reading an index
Reading a recipe
Dividing a recipe in half
Cutting with a knife 

                         
Are you a grand parent looking for ways to connect with your grandchildren?
        Why not try hosting a cooking project at your house!      
   I promise your house will be filled with smiles. Maybe you'll even get them to eat something they've never tried.  Good luck.
                            Happy Trails                                                                                            pony ride::    
                                                                                     
                             
Linking with Pink Saturday,  Saturday Sparks,Create With Joy,The Art of Homemaking,
Share Your Cup, Make It Pretty Monday,Trivium Tuesday, Amaze Me Monday
Plucky's Cooking and Creating
           








3 comments:

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

How fun, Lynn! It's so great being with our grandchildren, isn't it? What a blessing it is for us and for them.
I have that same vintage Betty Crocker cookbook!

Molly the Airedale said...

Love the look on your grandson's face in all of the pictures. Deviled eggs - yummmmmmm

Amy Maze said...

This is exactly what my mom does with my kids! About once a month she has a simple recipe planned for my daughter and they both love working together on it! PS I remember that exact Betty Crocker cook book in my home growing up =)